30 well-preserved historical buildings, some dating back to the 17th century.
Actors from the “Gårdimillom” theatre company re-enact, every season, typical scenes and various activities that would have gone onin the various buildings.
Molåna is one of the central buildings at the museum. It is a typical “trønderlån” or “lån (lån=long,narrow main building on larger farms inTrøndelag) from Trøndelag, built in 1783 of logs on a granite foundation wall. The entrance and kitchen are in the middle of the building, withliving rooms and chambers on both sides. The portal framing the entrance doors is of lavish design in Louis XVI style. The building has two full storeys and was protected by a conservation order in 1923. Today, Molåna is used for functions on special occasions, and the Cultural Centre runs a simple cafè in the northern living room during the summer.
The buildings near Molåna represent the oldest part of the museum. North of the courtyard there are two “stabbur”, orstorehouses, on pillars and a mountain lodge originally built near the road to Jâmtland in Sweden. The easternmost storehouse, “Ådalsvollsburet”, is the museum`s oldest building, from about 1650. Facing Molåna is the barn.
Farthest east on the south side ofthe stream, and in contrast to the elegant Molåna, is a crofter`s cottage built of logs together with a barn constructed from upright panels.This is a typical example of a crofter`s farm.The crofter`s accommodation was far more humble than that of the farmer at Molåna.
Around 150 years ago there were many crofters in the region, and some farmers with large holdings. But most were ordinary farmers who managed with fairly modest resources north of the stream.
A “trønderlån”with functions different from those of Molåna forms the eastern boundary of the museum area. The building houses a natural history exhibition and a large room for meetings and lecture.
Several buildings in the museum grounds reflect needs other than shelter for people and animals in the old farming community. The blacksmith shopprovided a vital service to the farms, and grain was ground into flourat the mill. The roadsman`s cottage and the carpenter`s workshop tellus that a new society was taking shape toward the end of the 19 thcentury. The same applies to the bakery and general store. Newprofessions emerged, and more people could earn a living away from thefarm.
The “telthus” is an interesting stucture. This also bears witness to activity outside farming-but an age-old activity in this case, namely war. The “telthus” was a small mobilization depot for military equipment. Today, it is used